Wednesday, July 28, 2010

kids gone crazy

The kids are driving me crazy. They had trashed their room for the umpteenth time and this time Brandon asked me help clean up the room because he was finding all kinds of toys he hadn't seen in a long time. Now keep in mind that I have tried to make it as easy as possible for them. They have a big toy box for the big toys, and lots of plastic boxes to organize the rest. I have even tried mixing up the toys in the boxes and bringing out a box at a time so they would have different toys all the time, but they always wanted something that was put away. I used to have a rack with different boxes to put their shoes in but they always threw them in front of it and it is right by the door so I couldn't shut the door, so I gave them and old laundry basket to put them in. All they have to do is throw them in but they still put them in front of the basket. Or throw the toys in front of the toy box. How hard is it to put them in the box, even if it is the wrong box. So yesterday we set about cleaning the room. I told them that I would help but they had to do it and decide where they wanted the toys. I figured that if they did it they would be more likely to keep it that way. After the first hour with me yelling at them to help, I finally took a break and told them that when we started again they better help or I was done. By that time you couldn't even walk into the room. I quit after we had the majority of the stuff in the boxes and all that was left was to put the leftover toys that was on the floor in the proper boxes and throw trash away and put Jessie's doll stuff in a pile so I could put them with the rest in the other room. The final straw for me was when they were sitting on their beds eating fruit snacks while I was digging around the closet pulling out toys. I told them what to do and left. When they said they were done, they had shoved everything in front of the toy box so you couldn't get to them, the doll stuff was nowhere to be found, and they just threw the stuff where ever, they even stuffed the trash places instead of throwing it away. One of the bags I had started Brandon threw in the toy box and it opened up so now there is trash in there again. So after a whole day of room cleanup and yelling and Scott trying to smooth things over and mediate, their room is clean if you don't look too closely and it is sort of in order. They seem to be happy with it and I can walk so I guess I should be satisfied. I should be happy that they at least put their dirty clothes in the hamper so I at least don't have to go searching for that. I am not sure if it will be better when we can get a garage and separate them or if I will just have two disaster rooms. At least then it will be more spread out. Maybe all the stress is just finally getting to all of us. Only three more weeks until school starts and I am not sure if that is good or bad or just a new stress.

No comments: