Thursday, September 30, 2010

kids

In preschool the kids are starting to learn their letters. Every week the learn a new letter and have show and tell bringing a small item that starts with the letter. Jessie informed me yesterday that they were starting it but no note was sent home so I didn't really give it much thought. I was trying to decide if I should give in to paying a dollar for PJ day. (more about that in a minute). Anyway I forgot all about it. This morning Jessie wakes up and asks me if smile begins with the letter S (the letter of the week) I said yes it does and she said that is what she is bringing for show and tell, her smile. I can't think of a better one can you?
The school has pajama day as a spirit thing every year. This year they decided to charge a $1.00 for every student to wear them. If you don't bring a dollar and you wear pjs you get a trip to the principal's office and a call to your parents. I gave in because Jessie was so excited even though I don't think that is right but Brandon decided not to do it.
Speaking of Brandon, my son is so full of empathy it literally hurts him sometimes. He cries when they have the commercials for the abused animals and now they are doing a fundraiser for St. Judes hospital. Yesterday they brought in a video to show the classes and are doing a math a thon fundaiser. Brandon came home all excited but I thought it was because of the prizes. The problem is we don't have the money for another fundraiser, I told him that and he said he understood but then he couldn't focus on homework which is nothing unusual so I didn't give it much thought. But then I started seeing the signs. He almost cried when I lectured him about staying focused during homework which is a daily lecture, and when Scott came home Brandon showed him the fundraiser but said he didn't care about helping stupid cancer kids. That is when I realized what was bothering him. When he started crying he said he just really wanted to help them out. I told him we would try and find a way to donate somehow but the fundraiser looks like they want a minimum of $10 pledges. How do I help keep his ability to want to help and his passion for it when we can barely help ourselves right now? I try to show him everything is good with us but then I turn around and say we can't give $10 dollars. He is getting confused and I don't know how to help him. I am trying to think of other things he can do to help but its hard to find things for an eight year old to volunteer and everything costs money anymore. I feel like I am letting both kids down.

2 comments:

Rebecca and Co. said...

Oh boy. I really do feel for you, Jenn. First of all, that is crazy--CRAZY--that to dress up for pj day you have to pay. I understand school spirit and whatnot but that is not ok to punish kids who don't bring a dollar! Hello!

Rebecca and Co. said...

Second: Jessie is so cute and clever to have though of "smile" for the letter S. I love it. One time--I don't know why I remember this--but David forgot to mention he needed something for show and tell so my mom gave him the tire pressure gauge out of the glove box. After that I think he kind of thought it was his. Haha.

For Brandon and the fundraiser . . . that is a hard one. What a wonderful thing to be compassionate. Maybe you could explain that while you don't have the money to help the kids there are other things you can do to help. There are so many good causes that no child or family can help them all. But maybe there is something he can do, perhaps on Fridays, like volunteer at the animal shelter or do some service at GG's apt. complex with the "old folks".

I don't know if your area gets enough through-traffic for something like a yard sale or lemonade stand, but if so Brandon could use the proceeds to help his chosen cause.

Another thing he can do is pray--every night he can ask for a blessing on the kids with cancer, or the other groups who need attention; I think God pays special attention to the prayers of a child.