Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Shane




One of the last pictures with Shane. Jessie gave him a stuffed dog to lay with him to keep him company




We lost Shane today. (Shane was the golden retreiver). On Friday, he went to jump up on our bed and fell. We thought he hurt his hip again (not the first time) but he wouldn't get up at all which made us suspect it was worse this time. Jessie sat in our bedroom and "read" stories to him to keep him company. I tried massaging him but it wasn't working so we decided to take him to the vet. Scott took him so I could stay with the kids because we didn't know how long it was going to take. I thought maybe he tore something or dislocated something, but when I moved his leg he would jerk toward me so I knew it hurt but I never suspected his leg was shattered due to bone cancer. The tumor ate away the bone until it was so weak it just shattered. There was nothing they could do. They splinted it and sent us home with pain meds and said to see how the weekend went. Our options were to amputate the leg to buy time or wait it out until it was time. It was decided that amputation would not work for him and we gave him a few days for all of us and made the decision. The vet came to the house so we didn't have to move him and he went peacefully. Jessie didn't really understand, especially since he was still here, but it is starting to sink in now that he is actually gone. Brandon told me yesterday that Shane's soul was not happy and he wanted his body to let him go so he could be free. Every time I try to think of something that drove me crazy about him I realize that is one of the things I will miss the most. Like him stealing things and "happy butting" around with it. Or the fact that he was always in the way because he was so big. He had the biggest heart and those big brown eyes could melt you. I want to share some memories but I will have to do it later because I can't see the screen very well right now. We loved Shane with all of out hearts and he will be greatly missed.

2 comments:

Rebecca and Co. said...

Heartbreaking . . . RIP Shane.

Brandon said it best, didn't he? Now Shane can be free from pain, maybe running through fields with Patches and all the other beloved animal companions who have gone on before.

I am sorry for your loss; he was a good dog. I enjoyed meeting him when we visited you, and I could tell he was truly an important, well-loved part of your family.

Hugs to you and the kids.

Mopsie said...

I couldn't say it better than Rebecca did. I know he'll be missed. RIP.