Thursday, August 23, 2012

School and my birthday

School started last week for the kids. Brandon is in 4th and Jessie is in 1st this year. They both got the teachers they wanted so that was good. Jessie is having a little trouble dealing with all day. Not because she can't handle it but because she misses the mother daughter quality time we had while Brandon was in school. She enjoys it otherwise. She is such a social butterfly that she thrives and she is a good student so it is pretty easy for her. Her only problem is going to be to make her do her homework but so far she has done it without a problem. Brandon has already forgotten his homework once and got into trouble for talking twice and we are only a week and a half into it. The medication the doctor put him on to help with his ADD isn't working so we are trying something else out. We'll see what happens.

The kids wanted to pick out their own presents for my birthday so Mom took the kids shopping after doing GG's hair on Sat. Brandon wanted to get me flowers so Mom talked him into fake flowers so they would last. He was very picky on which flowers and what vase and then they bought some of those glass rocks to put in it. When they were wrapping it up, Jessie put some flowers in and the vase shattered. Mom said they were both ready to cry. So while they cleaned up the mess, Scott ran out and bought another vase.Of course I didn't hear about all this until afterward. Jessie bought me two candles and two statues. One of a little girl holding  flowers and the other was a bird. Mom said the pickings were slim but Jessie said I would like them and that I would like anything they got me anyway. She was all excited because she thought she found a dolphin statue but it turned out to be a shark. Mom said she loves taking them shopping because they have such strong takes on what they want and don't want. You can't talk them into anything once their minds are set. She loves to see what they are going to pick out. It was a good birthday I got lots of things I needed and we took the kids to the city park rides because we got rained out the last time we went so we tried it again. This time it was really nice weather and it wasn't as crowded since it was a Sunday evening. Everyone had a good time.

1 comment:

Rebecca and Co. said...

What med is Brandon on? Mary takes Vyvanse and Tyce takes Metadate (a derivative of Ritalin). I have heard many people report success with Vyvanse, both adults and kids, and we've been very happy with it for Mary.

I know how it is as a mom with kids in school--I have felt many times, "We've already had these problems and it's only been a week" or however long. The right med can make a difference, as will time/maturity.

Something I'm still working on are expectations--deep down I expected perfection, or at least excellence--because that's what was expected of me and I did what my parents wanted. So it feels a little like a slap in the face when we as parents hold our kids up to a similar high standard but don't get the same result. However, our kids aren't being disrespectful or uncaring when they struggle and it doesn't--or shouldn't--reflect on our efforts as parents when they do. I know you do everything you can for your kids and they are a million times better off because of it. (As are mine, I hope).

Sounds like you had a nice birthday with some thoughtful gifts from the children. I hope this is a wonderful year for you all. :)