Friday, October 10, 2014

new job

So I posted on Facebook that I got a new job but it was just through the Christmas season. Well after I went in and filled out the consent form for the background check and did the drug screen, I was all ready to start Oct 13th. A few days after I got a call from a friend from Jessie's school who got a paraprofessional job that I had also interviewed for. She had to quit after two weeks because her son is having surgery and has a 12 week recovery time. She didn't feel it was fair to have them hire a long term sub especially if something else happened so she put in a good word for me. The next day they called and offered me the position. I am now a full time Paraprofessional for Vineland Elementary. It is only through the school year but now I have a good chance of getting on next school year. The pay isn't the greatest but once I send them my transcripts and prove I have an AA degree, that will boost the pay some more. The best thing is that it is the kids schedule so I will be off on their days off. The school is out here in the county so it is not far to drive either. There is three special ed boys that I rotate with and then I help the fourth grade with language arts. I now see why Brandon has so much trouble concentrating in school. The kids are constantly moving around and talking. I am talking about the mainstream kids also not just the special ed kids. The three boys all are at preschool- kindergarten level and they all have speech problems. They all also are prone to tantrums. One will bite and hit and kick so you have to be careful. They can also be very sweet. You tend to spend a lot of time trying to get them to work because they are all stubborn. Good thing I have had practice with stubborn children. I find I have a lot more patience for kids that aren't my own. My first week was kind of crazy anyway so I haven't had a day of normal schedule yet. Hopefully I will impress them enough to want to keep me on and I won't screw up. It is hard getting back into working full time after having my own schedule for so long but I hope I will get back into the swing of things soon.

3 comments:

Mopsie said...

Good for you! I know you always thought working at the school would be ideal time-wise. You and Brooklyn can commiserate on your way-harder-than-you-hoped jobs.

Kids are a challenge, any kids!
I know you'll do well. Good luck!

Rebecca and Co. said...

Girl, I relate to the getting back in to the swing of things. That's killer, isn't it? But you'll get it going and it'll be great. Congratulations on the new job, of course. That's great that it is a lot longer contract than the other one you'd applied for. As for next year, how could they not love you? You got this. :)

Jenn said...

Thanks both of you